How to check a diamond?
We often see in the cinema how a jeweler-expert takes inhands a stone and immediately determines whether it is fake or not, and this, of course, looks very impressive. But is it really difficult to really understand, is there a genuine jewel or just a glass? Of course, it is difficult to draw an unambiguous conclusion, but there are some ways to verify it. Let's see how to check the diamond.
Determine the authenticity of the diamond at home
- If the stone is without cut, put it on the newspaper - through the real stone the letters will be distinguishable;
- Look if the stone glistens from the side - the real diamond is beautiful from all sides, the fake is usually polished only from above;
- breathe on the stone - the diamond should not become clouded (however, do not rush to make a conclusion only on this test, zirconium also does not mist over if you breathe on it);
- rub the stone with sandpaper - there will be no scratches on the real diamond;
- pay attention to the overflow of the stone: the diamond will shimmer only in shades of gray, the fake will give an iridescent glow (the diamonds of very poor quality also shine with a rainbow).
As you can see, one test does not give a full result, however, having conducted the entire complex presented, you, most likely, can clearly understand whether the diamond is in front of you or a fake.
See also: What is a diamond.