How to feed turkeys?
Feeding poults should be started immediately after hatching. For these birds, suitable only high-quality food containing a small amount of fiber. It is connected with the peculiarity of their body: food is permanently delayed in their intestines. And if in the intestine will be sour or contaminated food, it can cause poisoning, blockage of the intestine.
How and how to feed turkeys: tips
- Essential food in the first days of life for this bird are cereals, dairy products - yogurt, milk powder, fresh cottage cheese, eggs, greens.
- Food should be fresh, water - room temperature.
- The poults are not well accustomed to the new food, so the new feed should be introduced gradually.
- To avoid intestinal diseases, birds should be given a weak potassium permanganate solution once a week.
- In the first two days, poults should be fed with boiled eggs, which should be rubbed with fine corn, as well as wheat or oatmeal. The ratio should be 1: 4.The number of cereals on the second day should be increased to half the mass of eggs.
- Next, from the third to the tenth day, the poults should be fed with a certain mixture:
- sixty-eight percent corn and wheat flour;
- ten percent - hard boiled eggs;
- ten percent fine wheat bran;
- two percent of the shells are crushed;
- ten percent fresh curd.
- In addition, you must add greens no more than fifty percent by weight of the basic diet. This may be nettle, clover, alfalfa, green onions. Green onions are very useful - it helps to avoid intestinal diseases. All ingredients must be mixed.
- To feed the birds should be yogurt.
- From the eleventh day the poults should be fed with this mixture:
- oatmeal - thirty percent;
- corn flour - thirty percent;
- fresh cottage cheese - sixteen percent;
- wheat bran - twenty percent;
- bone meal - one percent;
- ground chalk - two percent;
- salt is half one percent.
- Greens at this age can be added as much as all the components together.
- From the twentieth day turkeys give crushed grain.
- At the age of one and a half months, the grain is replaced by whole wheat and millet. At the same time do not forget about the green.
- At two months, turkeys are already well grazing in the pasture.
As for broiler turkeys, it is necessary to add as much fiber as possible to the diet, as well as vitamins, which are necessary for turkeys to gain weight quickly. So you have to buy special feed for broiler turkeys.
Number of feedings
Up to ten days poults are fed nine times a day. From the eleventh day, the number of feedings should be gradually reduced. After thirty days they should be fed six times a day, and at two months - four times. Feed the birds need an equal number of hours.