How to make jeans shorts?
Watch the video
A new fashionable and original piece of clothing can be made with your own hands. In particular, in this article we will look at how to make shorts from old jeans. And in the article of our site What to make of old jeans you will find some more interesting ideas.
What will it take to make shorts?
The list of materials depends primarily on your wishes. For example, if you just want to trim the jeans, thereby making the shorts, then you will have enough scissors. It is better if the scissors are tailors.
If you want the cutting line to be even and neat, then you should use traditional sewing tools: a piece of soap or a piece of soap and a tape or a ruler. For filing edges can not do without a sewing machine.
For decoration can be used a variety of materials. For example, you can color your shorts. To do this, you should get paints for fabrics, acrylic marker and stencil. You can also decorate the shorts with embroidery, then you will need to choose a pattern and special threads for embroidery.In the shops for needlework you will find a lot of stripes, ribbons, lace, original buttons and rivets that will look good on your new fashionable shorts.
How to trim jeans?
- We start by determining the length of the future product. The easiest way to do this is on the existing shorts. It is enough to attach shorts to jeans and make a soap or small mark. Slightly lower we make the second mark, if the edge is bent and stitched. The second line departs from the first one by 2.5 cm - if we fold it down once and 3-4 cm - if we fold it down twice. We will cut it along the bottom line. Even if we measure the length of the old shorts, we do a fitting before cutting and we estimate the measured length.
- When the length is determined, we draw a flat line with the chalk, after straightening the jeans.
- First we cut off one leg and then the second.
- When the jeans are cut off, proceed to the processing edge. The easiest option is to leave the edges frayed. To do this, slightly dissolve the edges, using, for example, large sandpaper or kitchen grater.In front you can make several small slits along the edge. As a result, we get youth shorts.
- Another option for processing the edge for those who are at least a little able to sew. Fold over edge once or twice. If you are going to do a double hem, then it is better to first bend one time and flash, and then repeat the procedure. So the edge will be smoother. Those who do not have too much experience in sewing, it is recommended to iron the bending line, and then manually sew a needle and thread. With the help of a sewing machine, we make a seam only on the seamy side so that it turns out smooth and neat.
- You can tuck the shorts without using a sewing machine. To do this, simply use the adhesive tape, which we put inside our fold and well ironed.
For more information on how to cut jeans or make holes and cuts in them, see our site's article How to cut jeans.
How to paint shorts?
To paint the shorts, they must first be bleached. To do this, pour a concentrated bleach into the spray bottle. Spray the whole shorts. Make sure that the fabric is evenly soaked. Then leave the shorts for 4-5 hours. During this time, the paint should go. After the specified time, the shorts must be rinsed in water and dried.
Now you can start painting. For this, it is best to use specialfacilities.They hold better and do not wash off when washing. For example, in shops you will find dyes for fabrics from Dylon. About her online a lot of positive feedback. In addition, with the help of paints, original patterns can be made on the fabric.
Aniline dyes have also proven their worth. The dyeing process itself will consist in boiling the product in water with paint and a tablespoon of table salt.
The people came up with many ways to dye denim without special dyes. But not all of these methods of dyeing can withstand prolonged wear and repeated washing. In addition, some methods involve the use of specific medical and chemical substances, which is accompanied by the release of a rather pungent odor.
How to decorate shorts?
Decorate shorts can be a variety of ways. For example, you can
- using a stencil to paint some drawing;
- put the lace ribbon on the bottom edges, belt or seams;
- sew shred lace or any other fabric, repeating the shape of the back pocket;
- sew rhinestones, pearls, buttons, bows and other small jewelry;
- attach rivets, etc.
Those who have already made shorts out of jeans, you can try to create a new product.