What is the difference between fiction and science? Examples
Literature is an indispensable part of cultureof each country. Without it, it would be impossible to exchange information, learn the latest news or study science. In all its splendor literature appears before readers in various genres. And it is often difficult to choose which book is to be given preference. Especially often such torments arise when the reader does not know what is the difference between fiction and scientific literature. Well, let's try to help him.
It all starts with a theory
Before classifying texts into artistic and scientific ones, one should arm themselves with theoretical knowledge in this field. That is, learn about what is scientific and fiction.
- Fiction is a kind of art, the main component of which is the word.
- Scientific literature - is awritten works that were created in the course of certain studies using a certain scientific method. This type of literature is intended to provide information to scientists about the latest achievements in their field of activity.
If we look only at these definitions, it is impossible to understand what, in fact, distinguishes fiction from scientific literature, except for the target audience.
What is style?
Therefore, it is worth studying this issue in more detail. Artistic and scientific literature has not received original titles. The thing is that the artists create the first, and in the second often the formula. It's all about features (or, as they say, styles) of writing text.
Style is the design of the text. This is a kind of "clothing" text. Speaking scientifically, style is a system of language tools and methods that are used to present any information. Each system and method is used in certain cases.
What is the difference between fiction and science? First of all, in the style of the text. And if you disassemble in more detail, then you need to know about the peculiarities of textual conventions of each style.
Artistic style of speech
This style is emotional and expressive. The author of the text mainly focuses on the display of images and emotions, which, in fact, captivates readers.
The main features of the artistic style:
- A hero and a narrator in one bottle is a free display of his "I".
- The text conveys images, emotional background and mood of the characters.
- The author can use many stylistic constructions in the text: homonyms, antonyms, phraseological units, obsolete words, hyperbole, etc. The choice of verbal design is unlimited.
- In the artistic text, the author can apply many different styles, beautifully "fitting" them to the general author's style.
- In words there is always a hidden meaning.
The main purpose of the text in this style is to convey emotions, create a certain mood for the reader. This is the first difference between fiction and science.
Nevertheless, this is not all the distinctive characteristics of styles. It is impossible to compare the artistic and scientific style without saying anything about the specifics of the content.
The main features of the scientific style:
- The author is objective, impartial. The pronouns "we" or "they" appear in the text.
- Many terminology and speech cliches. Absence or minimized use of emotionally expressive vocabulary.
- The text is static and is slowly read due to the abundance of adverbs, adjectives and nouns.
- The text is constructed logically, laid out consistently, according to the theses.
- Many introductory words that explain phenomena or concepts.
In this there is another difference between fiction and scientific literature.
A bit about the popular science
Many readers tend to confuse scientific literaturewith popular science. Popular science literature is an artistic text about science. It is intended for both experienced researchers and ordinary people. The difference between fiction and popular science is that the latter unites the main features of two literary styles. Here you can find images, and emotions, and dry information, which frightens with formulas and terminology.
Plan and example
The difference between artistic and scientific literature is really great. To sum up everything written, it is worthwhile to give a practical example.
The difference between fiction and science (examples):
- Art style: "On the horizon, the firstdawn rays, but in the camp no one paid attention to them. Each soldier was immersed in his thoughts. Someone was cleaning the muzzle of the machine, someone was finishing the last lines of the letter, and someone was staring blankly at the side where the enemy was located. Today there was to be a decisive battle. The whole night no one could close their eyes, and the minutes of the early morning crawled like snails, until someone shouted: "It's begun!" ... "
- Scientific style: "The Berlin offensive beganin the morning of April 16, 1945. 9000 Soviet guns and mortars hit the German positions. Within minutes, the first line of defense was destroyed. Air bombers attacked German artillery and staffs. 2145 units of German military equipment were destroyed ... Germany announced its surrender on May 8, 1945 ".
Two of these texts tell about the beginning of the Berlinoffensive operation - the last battle in the Great Patriotic War. And if you make a plan: "The difference between fiction and science", then it will have the following form:
- The scientific text will always include:
- exact dates and figures;
- a list of the main operational elements;
- assessment of what is happening;
- attention to significant points;
- general results;
- figures, protocols, sheets.
- The artistic text has in its composition:
- impressions about what is happening;
- a description of the place where the events occur;
- means of expressiveness that cause the reader to experience;
- reality is painted in living pictures.
Even the small examples presentedcorrespond to most of the items in the plan. About what is the difference between fiction and scientific, is briefly described in the article. If the first is something sublime, sensual and spiritual, the second is its direct opposite - it sets out the basic facts with the use of complex terminology and, forgetting about the aesthetics of speech, stubbornly strides towards the goal. You can say that they are like heaven and earth. It's pointless to compare them. However, it is impossible to imagine the world of culture as without artistic works, and without scientific works.